BikeWalk NC is the statewide advocacy organization for bicyclists and pedestrians. We work through education, advocacy and promotion to make it safer and more accessible to walk and bike for transportation, recreation, and health. Walkable, bicycle-friendly communities are more equitable and economically vibrant.
Our stakeholders help identify issues and provide input to solutions as we work with elected officials, government agencies and other nonprofit organizations to increase access to and safety of our sidewalks, cross walks, greenways, trails, bike lanes, bike accommodations, and other active transportation infrastructure. We are a member-based, 501(c)-3 nonprofit organization.
“We envision a state where anyone can choose to bicycle, skate, run, and walk as normal, practical, healthy, safe and active transportation.”
Our Mission: “To inspire and support advocacy and educational efforts throughout North Carolina for an environment that fairly and equitably accommodates bicyclists, skaters, pedestrians, and others using human-powered active transportation.”
- Be the Go-To Resource – for bike/ped related issues such as NC laws, best practices, enforcement officer safety training curriculum, etc., with shared information via our website, tweets, and Facebook.
- Annual Bike Summit – education and networking event (Wilmington 2017, partnering with AARP, Cape Fear Cyclists, Local MPO, and others)
- Statewide Bicycle Safety and Law Education Program Planning – BWNC is working with NCDOT to improve safety and knowledge of bike laws by motorists, bicyclists and enforcement officers in an effort to reduce conflicts on the road and reduce injuries. We also participate on the Governor’s Highway Safety Program’s Vision Zero Task Force. We are working to develop a new, broader, more grassroots approach to safety education and outreach.
- Complete Streets Campaign – we are leading a statewide broad stakeholder group (health, environmental and transportation representatives from government, academia and NGOs) working to move NC from policy to implementation.
- Capital Area Ride for Safety (CARS) – an annual ride to encourage safe cycling and to promote positive interactions between cyclists and motorists in September. With this ride we promote Vision Zero – the belief that no traffic fatalities are acceptable and zero fatalities should be our goal – and we’d like to expand this ride to other cities in the near future.
Our Goals: Our first goal is to promote active transportation for health and recreation, as well as for travel. See the rest of our goals.
Board of Directors: Our Board consists of committed advocates and community leadership from across the state. Read about our Board of Directors.